keskiviikko 29. toukokuuta 2024

Transatlantic Classroom Program - Yhteistyötä Atlantin yli

This school year, our school took part in an international program called the Transatlantic Classroom. The program was funded by the U.S. Embassy in Finland and the Finnish  National Agency for Education. The aim was to provide upper secondary schools in Finland and the United States with opportunities to collaborate and learn from each other. Our students had the chance to get to know students at an American high school, Essex High School in Vermont. 



In this article, our students Christine, Mariam, Melina and Purvi tell us about their experiences. 


How did you become interested in this program?

- I had friends who were interested in this program.
- I have been interested in the United States school system for a very long time and was intrigued when I heard about an opportunity to get to know some high schoolers. 

- English is my most spoken language, so hearing about this program made me excited, since it made me feel like I could actually take part in it without worrying about my language skills. I’ve also been interested in the American school system, so participating in this program helped me learn more realistic things about it. 


You all made short introductory videos about yourselves and you also saw the introductory videos of the American students. How was it to make a video of yourself and what did you think about the videos that you saw?

- Making a video was a bit scary because I wasn’t sure what exactly to say and how to describe myself but in the end I got it together and it was pretty fun. 

- It was a bit challenging to make the video because I had a hard time finding the words to describe myself. I had to look at last year’s introduction videos to use an example on what to say. But in the end, it all worked out and it was pretty fun to make. As for the videos I saw, it was really fun learning about the American students and their interests.

- Making a video was a bit stressful since we had a very limited time to introduce ourselves and our interests. I think it was mostly stressful because I didn’t know whether I was speaking too fast or whether they could understand what I was saying. However, watching the American students’ videos was really fun and interesting because I learnt about them and their interests. 


Tell us about the meetings during the autumn semester. 


- We had several virtual meetings on Google Meet. During the first meetings, we gave presentations about several topics related to Finland. Later, we got to see the American students’ video introductions and we got to ask questions from the students. 

- The virtual meetings were really fun, we got to know a lot about the American school system and also about the state they were in, Vermont. We got to ask each other questions about subjects, lunch, sports and many other things that differ between the two countries. Unfortunately, I missed the meeting where we presented Finland and its culture because I had another important meeting to attend. In my opinion, life in the US, especially the school system there, invests more in and pays a lot of attention to sports and they have many different interesting programs you can join, like robotics etc. I also learnt that Vermont is known for its scenic rolling mountains and quality skiing. It provides an abundance of outdoor activities during winter and summer. 


Would you recommend other students to take part in international projects? 


- Yes, I think it’s a great opportunity to learn about different cultures.

- Definitely, I think it gives you valuable experiences and opportunities to gain global perspectives. 

- Absolutely!! It’s so nice and interesting to get to know other cultures and to present your own. It opens your eyes in so many ways, and I think that cultural awareness is important when it comes to erasing stereotypes and promoting diversity. You may also get to know people whom you create long-lasting relationships with and get to travel a lot!!


Text: Noora Harkio





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti